Media Contact:                                                                                    , 646-673-4191

TODAY, 10/27: New Georgia Project Action Fund Joins Georgia Coalition for Cannabis Reform
The group will announce its plans at a press conference in Atlanta at 4pm.

(Atlanta) New Georgia Project Action Fund’s We Want All The S.M.O.K.E. (Spreading Marijuana Opportunities and Knowledge Everywhere) Campaign is proud to join Georgia State Representative Eric Bell and esteemed community leaders and activists from around the state in forming the Georgia Coalition for Cannabis Reform. 

This first-of-its kind initiative, supported by leaders in the cannabis industry and medical field, will include the Georgia Hemp Association, Lakeland Centres, Minority Cannabis Research Laboratories, CARE for Georgia, and more. The group’s efforts will be focused on advocacy and legislation around the safe use of cannabis, increased access to jobs and opportunities in the growing cannabis industry, and criminal legal reform for crimes related to cannabis possession and use in Georgia. 

“This coalition was born out of necessity,” says Takia Tinsley, Lead Organizer for NGPAF’s S.M.O.K.E. Campaign. “Too many Georgians’ lives are being halted or harmed over use of a drug that medical professionals all over the country support and that most other states allow. Georgia is one of only 19 states that still imposes jail time for cannabis possession. And, so far, only 12 cities out of Georgia’s 537 have decriminalized possession of less than an ounce. That’s 2% of Georgia cities, leaving the residents in the other 98% vulnerable to unfair targeting and punishment. We’re on a mission to change that.”

With municipal elections just around the corner, NGPAF’s S.M.O.K.E. Campaign is also working to connect the dots for voters between the issue of cannabis decriminilization and the power of voting in impacting change. In Camilla, Georgia, the 12th city to decriminalize cannabis in the state, the City Council member who spearheaded the reform won his seat by eight votes. Like all elections in Georgia, municipal elections are decided on the margins, and issues like cannabis reform can be a driving force to get voters out to the polls. 

Members of the media are invited to attend a press conference to mark the launch of the Georgia Coalition for Cannabis Reform and hear from community, medical, business, and elected leaders at 4pm this afternoon at The Bookstore Gallery in Atlanta, GA. If you are unable to attend but would like to schedule interviews with coalition leaders, please email [email protected].